The number 7 is often called the holy number, lucky number, the prophetic number, or the mystical number. Plato had written in Timseus, that from the number seven was generated the soul of the World, Anima Mundana (Adam Kadmon). To the Greek Mathematician Pythagoras and the Pythagoreans, the number seven is “the essence or first principle of things,” which they applied to the secrets of the universe and creation. They had called the number seven in Greek ‘heptad, ‘ and thought of it as a religious and perfect number.
In Eastern Philosophy there are the seven heavens of the Mohammedans and Hindoos, with the seven hells. The Christians have the seven virtues and seven deadly sins, or what those in the New Age movement might call our seven light bodies, the seven chakras, or the seven states of being.
The Seven Hermetic Principles, upon which the entire Hermetic Philosophy is based, are as follows:
1. The Principle of Mentalism.
2. The Principle of Correspondence.
3. The Principle of Vibration.
4. The Principle of Polarity.
5. The Principle of Rhythm.
6. The Principle of Cause and Effect.
7. The Principle of Gender.
1. The Principle of Mentalism – “THE ALL IS MIND; The Universe is Mental.”–The Kybalion.
2. The Principle of Correspondence – “As above, so below; as below, so above.”–The Kybalion.
3. The Principle of Vibration – “Nothing rests; everything moves;
everything vibrates.”–The Kybalion.
4. The Principle of Polarity – “Everything is Dual; everything has poles; everything has its pair of opposites; like and unlike are the same; opposites are identical in nature, but different in degree; extremes meet; all truths are but half-truths; all paradoxes may be reconciled.”–The Kybalion.
5. The Principle of Rhythm – “Everything flows, out and in; everything has its tides; all things rise and fall; the pendulum swing manifests in everything; the measure of the swing to the right is the
measure of the swing to the left; rhythm compensates.”–The Kybalion.
6. The Principle of Cause and Effect – “Every Cause has its Effect; every Effect has its Cause;
everything happens according to Law; Chance is but a name for Law not recognized; there are many planes of causation, but nothing escapes the Law.”–The Kybalion.
7. The Principle of Gender – “Gender is in everything; everything has its Masculine and Feminine Principles; Gender manifests on all planes.”–The Kybalion.“
Moe is the founder of GnosticWarrior.com. A website dedicated to both the ancient and modern teachings of Gnosticism.