I would like to wish you all a Happy 4th of July with some knowledge. Below you will find some very important events I have
found throughout history, that have occurred on this most famous day.
We must ask ourselves, "Are all of these July 4th events below just a coincidence or a time honored tradition?"
* – 362 BC Battle of Mantinea: The Thebans, led by Epaminondas, defeated the Spartans.
* 13 B.C. - Is when the “Cult of the Divinity of Peace,” under the rule of Augustus Caesar via Pax Augusta (Peace of Augustus) was established
* – Emperor 414 Theodosius II, age 13, yielded power to his older sister Aelia Pulcheria, who reigned as regent and proclaimed herself empress ( ) of the Augusta Eastern Roman Empire
* 836 - Pactum Sicardi, peace between the Principality of Benevento and the Duchy of Naples
* 1534 - Christian III is elected King of Denmark and Norway in the town of Rye.
* – The city of 1634 Trois-Rivières was founded in New France (Quebec, Canada)
* – 1636 Providence, Rhode Island was founded.
* 1708 - Swedish King Karel XII beats Russians
* 1754 - George Washington gives Ft. Necessity to France
* 1776 - Declaration of Independence. American independence from Great Britain.
* 1789 - First U.S. tariff act
* 1796 - The first Independence Day celebration is held
* – The 1803 Louisiana Purchase was announced to the American people.
* 1817 - Construction on Erie Canal begins
* 1829 - Cornerstone laid for 1st U.S. mint (Chestnut and Juniper St, Philadelphia)
* 1832 - "America" 1st sung publicly in Boston
1845 - Texas Congress votes for annexation to US
* 1874 - Social Democratic Workmen's Party of North America formed
* – The people of France offered the 1886 Statue of Liberty to the people of the United States.
– 1918 Ottoman sultan Mehmed VI ascended to the throne.
* 1918 - Altar dedicated at full-scale replica of Stonehenge at Maryhill, Washington
* 1918 – Bolsheviks killed Tsar Nicholas II of Russia and his family ( Julian calendar date).
* 1927 - Ir Sukarno forms PNI ( Perserikatan Nasional Indonesia) in Batavia
* 1931 - First fireworks are held at Cleveland Stadium
* – 1941 Nazi troops massacred Polish scientists and writers in the captured Ukrainian city of Lviv.
* 1946 - The Philippines became independent.
* – 1966 President Lyndon B. Johnson signed the Freedom of Information Act into United States law. The act went into effect the next year.
* – The cornerstone of the 2004 Freedom Tower was laid on the site of the World Trade Center in New York City.
* 2010 - Gen. David Petraeus formally assumed command of the 130,000-strong international force in Afghanistan.
* – God particle discovered. The discovery of particles consistent with the 2012 Higgs boson at the Large Hadron Collider was announced at CERN.